Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      rubyreadingmate

Learning to read is a daunting task.

Do you have any top tips for helping learners to get stuck in to reading? I’d love to hear them!

SamR
      Participant

Patience!! And recognising that all learners learn at their own pace- there is no one size fits all.

Reading Mate
        Keymaster

Excellent point Sam!

We agree- every learner is going to be different. It isn’t easy for educators to cater to 30+ different learners’ interests and reading levels, which is part of the reason why Reading Hub was born.

We want every learner’s reading journey to be supported by access to enchanting books, tailored to them. And we want to support teachers and parents/carers to do this!

Thomas
      Participant

Reading is an essential skill for children to develop in their early years. It not only helps them gain knowledge and build their vocabulary, but also helps them become better communicators and critical thinkers. As parents and teachers, it is important to encourage early stage learners to read so that they can reap the benefits of reading.

Reading can be encouraged through activities such as reading aloud, creating a reading-friendly environment, setting achievable goals and providing incentives for reading. Parents and teachers should also provide resources such as books, magazines, newspapers and online content that are age-appropriate for the learners. By doing so, they can create a culture of learning that encourages early stage learners to read more often.

rubyreadingmate

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Thomas. I agree with a lot of the points you’ve made there.

I wonder what people think about providing incentives- what do these incentives look like, and how can they promote a genuine love-of-reading? Love to hear more thoughts!

Thomas
        Participant

Hello, Ruby. Quick reply!

The topic of incentives for reading is a tricky one. In a perfect world, the incentive should be that reading is a magical and worthwhile activity in itself.

But simple incentives like sticker charts for building habits have their place too.

Environment for reading can refer to physical environment but also the emotional space- if children feel calm and joy spending quality time with an adult while they read together, this incentivises reading in itself.

rubyreadingmate

Fab point about the emotional space while reading, Thomas! If learners feel unsettled, it becomes a lot harder to teach/learn.

SamR
        Participant

I try and get this idea that reading is magical across by modelling that I feel that way myself!! think that’s the best way I can get it across

JoolsReader
        Participant

Modelling is key.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.