Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      SamR
      Participant

I am a year 1 class teacher, and one of my biggest challenges with reading is getting my learners to focus! I understand that they have had their social development disrupted due to the pandemic, and feel like technology is having a never-ending effect too…

Any tips or points welcome! At the moment we have good days and less good days. We read during literacy in the morning and after lunch to settle.

Reading Mate
      Keymaster

Hi Sam,

It’s great to see you making use of the Reading Mate Community!

We’d love to hear what other educators have to say on this topic, too.

In the meantime, we have a blogpost on learning how to read which covers why some learners may struggle and how to help them:

Learning how to read books: Use these proven methods for helping your learners to read

sjprimary
      Participant

Hi Sam,

I’m not sure if you’re referring to whole-class reading or individuals or both, but hopefully, something of what I have to say will be useful!

1. Try and tailor what you’re reading to their interests as closely as possible. If whole class reading, maybe do a vote on a selection of books each week? Or draw up a rota to take turns choosing from a small selection?

2. Ask lots of questions and take an interest in the answers that are given. Encourage conversation about the story as you’re reading, but make sure to bring it back to the text.

3. Set them up properly to read- limit distractions and encourage calming beforehand. I know you mentioned that one of your reading times is after breaks to settle. Maybe try and take a bit of time before pulling the book out to do some breathing exercises as a group.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just a few thoughts which I hope help!

Thanks
      SJ

SamR
        Participant

Thank you for your reply, SJ! Your point about getting the kids to calm before reading is a great one, there maybe needs to be more of a structured transition.

sjprimary
        Participant

You are welcome 🙂

JoolsReader
      Participant

Engagement= focus.

Inspire engagement in reading by being excited yourself, asking questions and relating what you’re doing to real-world examples.

SamR
        Participant

Thanks Jools!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.